Saturday, May 10, 2014

From Duvet to Sham...

My sister got a great deal on three discontinued EMMIE SOT Duvet sets at Ikea, $5 for a twin duvet with 2 shams.
Ikea Emmie SOT Duvet Set

She has an Ikea Hemnes Day Bed that I think is discontinued as well but the link will show you an idea of what is still available from Ikea.  She needed two of the sets for the comforters when the bed is pulled out and made for guests.  The third was picked up to make shams.  It turned out to be a way cheap alternative to the fabric store!

However, she DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO SEW!  Since I lover her and am a total sucker I did it for her, just like every other sewing project she wants done :)




Final Sham

Using the tutorial here I made four extra shams for her new guest bed/day bed.  Turned out to be super easy and they are very cute. I also made the back and front contrasting, just like the original duvet.

Each duvet easily makes 4 shams if you lay it out correctly.  I made a template from some of my kids writing paper rolls and used that to cut the pieces out.  The template pieces needed are:

  • 31" x 25" (front piece)
  • 35" x 25" (back) or 2 pieces measurinjg 17.5" x 25"  



* Note: I cut the back and front of the Duvet apart prior to laying out the pieces. This made it way easy to cut the sham pieces out.

No comments:

Post a Comment